Avery 6 Cylinder Model C

Built in 1920 by Avery Company, Peoria, Illinois, USA.

It has Drawbar HP: 8.6, with a three forward/one reverse transmission and a top speed of 4.5 mph.

Unsuitable for field work but used to drive a pea thresher. 

The six cylinder, L-head engine, GL 1825, has a 3″ bore and 4″ stroke with three rings on each piston and operates at 1250 rpm.  The firing order is 1-4-2-6-3-5.  It is equipped with a KW Model T magneto and a Kingston Model L carburetor.  It burns gasoline or kerosene.

The tractor weighs 3160 lbs, runs on steel wheels with 2.75 inch lugs, has a speed range of 1.6 to 4.5 mph, and has a chain-driven, 10” x 5.25”, 800 rpm belt pulley.

This tractor was used on the W.G. Devitt farm on Barnston Island.  It was submerged in the Fraser River flood of 1948 and this discouraged any further useful work.  In 1960 it was purchased by Mr Brady-Brown and restoration was completed in April 1964.  It was donated to the Museum in 1967.

Brothers Cyrus and Robert Avery founded the Avery Company in 1874 building cultivators and planters.  By 1891 the company had located to Peoria, Illinois and begun building stream tractors.  Avery entered the tractor market with the

truck-like Farm & City in 1909.  Avery introduced a line of tractors but fell into trouble during the Depression.  The company reorganized several times but closed for good at the onset of World War II.

 Restored & Donated by Neil Brady-Brown